17 Feb 2019
- Volunteers required for Chess in Schools & Communities
please contact John Wrench West Midlands organiser.
- Sun 10 Mar. Solihull Open Rapid Play Chess 960 Tournament at Solihull School, Solihull B91 3DJ. 9:30am-6:15pm, 5 rounds, 30min plus 10s increments. Published ECF papidplay grade recommended.
- Fri-Sun, 22-24 Mar. Castle Chess Hereford Congress at The Green Dragon Hotel, Broad Street Hereford HR4 9BG. Six rounds, Open including Premier u175, Major u155 including Intermediate u135, Minor u115 including Challengers u95.
- Thu-Sun, 4-6 Apr, English Seniors Championships at St John's Hotel, Warwick Road, Solihull B91 1AT. Two categories over-50 and over-65, six rounds, half-point byes available except for final round, 90 min plus 30 sec increment. ECF gold membership recommended.
- Tue-Thu, 16-18 Apr. Midland Open Junior Championships at St Nicholas Hall, Leicester Grammar School, London Road, Leicester LE8 9FL. Under-9, Under-11, Under-14 and Under 18 tournaments, 6 rounds. ECF membershipe recommended for U-11, U14 and U-18 tournaments.
- Sat 25 May to Mon 27 May. Cotswold Chess Congress at The King's School, Gloucester, GL1 2BG. Morning rounds start at 10am and there are six rounds. Open, Major (u155), and Minor (u125) tournaments. Half point byes available rounds 1-5, bookstall.
Lee Davis retains county title
6 Sep 2017, Alan Leary reports. Lee again made a clean sweep of the county's elite trophies to take the 2017 Herefordshire Individual title. Paul Barker won the Major KO.
Hereford 9th Castle Chess congress 2017
12 Mar, 2017, Castle Chess reports. Raymond Ilett (Peterborough) won the u195 Championship with 5 points. Roy Watson (Kenilworth) won the Major with 5 points. There was a five-way tie for the Minor: Michael Henbury (Chandlers Ford, Hants), Alan Fraser (Beckenham), Michael Foss (Woking), Dennis Bonner (Telepost, Shrops), and Keven Lamb (Eastleigh)all scored 4 points.
For older news click archive