The Worcestershire League is organised by and is an integral part of Worcestershire Chess Association. The league has two divisions. Division I has 6-board teams and Division II has 5-board teams. For further information, how to enter a team, fees, and contact details, use the left hand side menu button "About WCL". For Worcestershire Chess Association's Team Handicap Knock Out Cup, please consult KO pages on the WCA website.
Next chess events in Worcs and nearby
- Words in brown are links to pdf entry forms, congress websites or e-mail contacts of organisers
- Volunteers required for Chess in Schools & Communities
please contact John Wrench West Midlands organiser.
- Sun 26 Nav. Worcester Winter Junior Chess Tournament. 10 to 3pm at The King's School Worcester.
- Fri to Sun 24-26 Nov. Bristol Winter Congress at Bristol Grammar School, University Road, Bristol BS8 1SR. Five rounds, FIDE Open, Major (u155), Minor u125)
- Fri 5 to Sun 7 Jan 2018. Shropshire Chess Congress at Wrekin House, Colliers Way, Telford TF3 4AW. Five rounds: FIDE-rated Open, Intermediate (u140), Minor (u100) tournaments.
15 Oct. Halesowen players in BDCL Rapidplay. Keith Arkell 5½/7 was 2nd in the Open and John Edge 2nd in the major tournament.
29 Sep. Timman's Titans ECF book of the year. Portraits of world champions told partly through Timman's encounters with them.
21 Sep. Halesowen Club awarded ECF 2017 Chess Club of the year.
31 Aug. Promotion for Halesowen 2B. Halesowen have decided to ask for promotion for their victorious 2B team in Division 2. The Executive and Fixtures meeting accepted the proposal and last-placed Worcester City team were permitted to continue in Division I so there are now six teams in Division One: Halesowen 1A; Halesowen 1B; Kidderminster A; Malvern; Olton; and Worcester City. Division II now has xx teams: Droitwich; Greenlands; Halesowen 2; Kidderminster B; and Stourbridge. In both divisions teams play each other team home and away.
1 Aug. New grading list is published.
Use the "League News" button in the top of the left hand side menu for earlier news of the 2015-6 season. Use one of the "Earlier season's" buttons for previous seasons' news.