Words in brown are hyperlinks to congress website, pdf entry form or contact's e-mail.
- Volunteers required for Chess in Schools & Communities
please contact John Wrench West Midlands organiser.
- Sat & Sun 18-19 Aug. Worcestershire Closed Congress at The King's School, Worcester. Five rounds, half-point byes available for rounds 1-4. Entry form.
- Thu 23 Aug. Worcestershire CA Executive meeting and Worcestershire League Fixtures meeting for 2018-9 season at St Stephen's Church Hall, St Stephen's Street, Worcester.
- Thu 30 Aug. Worcester & District League Annual meeting and fixtures arrangements for 2018 season at St Stephen's Church Hall, St Stephen's Street, Worcester.
- Sun 21 Oct, Birmingham & Dist Chess League Rapidplay 10:30am to 6:30pm at Quinborne Community Centre, Ridgeacre Road, Quinton, Birmingham B32 2TW. Open, Major (u171), Inter (u141), and Minor (u111) tournaments 7 rounds
10 Aug. Lee Davis wins Bennett Cup. In the final it couldn't have been closer. Lee Davis ran out the winner. The first standard game was drawn as was the second. In the Armageddon play-off, Lee won by a single second.
10 Apr. Brian Turner faces Lee Davis in an all-Malvern final for the Bennett Cup.
8 Apr, Dan Lambourne reports. Redditch win Intermediate Plate National Club title. Redditch tied on 5 points with Telford, but lost out on the tie-break for the Intermediate Championship.
1 Jan. At the start of 2018, Redditch A and Malvern head the league, with Redditch a nose in front with more won games. Last year's champions, Worcester Bishops, are languishing. In Division 2, Worcester Pawns are in front, but Redditch B have a match in hand.
5 Nov. Draws for Ball and Bennett Cup trophies announced. Five players competing for the Bennett Cup have an all-play-all followed by final games between the two highest scoring players. Four compete for the Ball Cup in a double round all-play-all. If the winner has a point or more than the runner-up, the highest scoring is awarded the trophy. If there is a tir for first place, or the winner of the all-play-all leads by less than a point, there will be play-off for the award.
29 Sep. Timman's Titans ECF book of the year. Portraits of world champions told partly through Timman's encounters with them.
14 Sep. Annual Meeting. Stourbridge took promotion from Division 2 and have entered an additional team in Division 2. Kidderminster Rooks were demoted to Division 2. Division 1 teams play each other home and away and Division 2 team play a single round.
For older news click the 2016-7 season menu button on the left.
W&D Chess League in brief
The league was started in 1932. It promotes team and individual chess competition in the district surrounding Worcester. Currently six clubs and twelve 4-board teams compete in the league events, which are organised in two divisions. The league runs two individual tournaments: the Bennett Cup (open) and the Ball Cup (under-150), which are open to members of affiliated clubs. Maurice Bissell (President and Hon secretary) manages most of the league's business. For more information, use the "About WDCL" menu button on the left.