- Next chess events. Words in green are hyperlinks to pdf entry form, congress website, or contact's e-mail.
- Volunteers required for Chess in Schools & Communities
please contact John Wrench West Midlands organiser.
Wed 28 Feb. An evening of competitive chess for junior and social players at The Riverside School, Spring Gardens Worcester WR1 2AE. 5:30pm-8:30pm. Please contact Todd Reeves.
- Fri 2 Mar. Midland Sinfonia with Nic Fallowfield at 7:30pm in St Laurence's Church, Alvechurch, B48 7SB. A programme of Hayden, Mozart and Schubert.
- Sun 20 May. Worcestershire Megafinal UK Chess Challenge at The King's School Worcester 10am to 4pm. Winners of school and junior club UK Chess Challenge competitions enter on-line using the national website.
- Sat-Sun 26-28 May. Cotswold Congress at The King's School, Gloucester. GL1 2BG. Open, u155 and u125 tournaments, 5 rounds.
Worcestershire chess news
18 Feb. Worcestershire players at Midlands Rapidplay. GM Keith Arkell (Halesowen) was 2nd on 7½ points. Don Curry, also Halesowen, was placed second in the under-2000 tournament, whichle Steve Crockett picked up a best performance prize in the under-1750 competition.
7 Feb, John Wrench reports. Worcs clubs in Wolverhampton League Div 2 latest. Stourbridge A lead Kidderminster A in the top two places of Division 2 and Halesowen B is in third place. Kidderminster A play Halesowen B later in the month and the winner will probably be on course for promotion to Div 1. Stourbridge B are mid-table and Kidderminster B is lower in the same division and hoping to stave off relegation.
24 Jan. Kidderminster beat Telford 7.25 - 3 in quarter final of the Pittaway Cup handicap team tournament of Wolverhampton & District League.
23 Jan. Redditch beat Droitwich in the KO team tournament.
Worcs beat Leics in the Midland counties' team championship.
6 Jan. Worcs u120 team lose to Lincolnshire. In a tight match, Worcs were pipped by 5½-6½.
5 Jan. Kidderminster beat Malvern in the team KO competition for the Wheatley Cup. The fixture was postponed from December because of snow.
5 Jan. GM Keith Arkell at the Hastings International Masters Congress. Keith scored 6 points and shared 6th prize with six others.
27 Dec. John Wrench receives award for services to Worcestershire Chess. At a presentation ceremony held a Kidderminster Club HQ, county secretary Ray Collett presented John with the Jim Friar award for 'services to Worcestershire chess'. John is secretary for Kidderminster Club, captain of the county first team, was a promoter of the Bewdley St Annes' community club and is a volunteer tutor for Chess in Schools and Communities. Jim's family donated the award to the association after Jim's untimely death and it is fitting that John should be the first recipient because like Jim he is a stalwart of Kidderminster and encourages juniors to take up the game. See also report in the Kidderminster Shuttle
17 Dec. Worcestershire lose to Warwickshire. In a double county fixture at Olton Chess Club in Tyseley, the first team, missing several senior players, lost 6-10 and the under-120 team lost 5½-6½. Geoff Marchant (Malvern) was the only winner in the senior match, but the team should take heart from young players' results with Joseph Friar (Kidderminster, board 4) and Finlay Bowcott-Terry (Halesowen, board 14) both drawing games against higher graded opponents. In the under-120 match, Peter Hodkinson (Mercia) Brian Allsop and Stan Grayland (both Greenlands) won their games.
6 Dec. Shirley & Wythall beat Greenlands in the Team KO handicap competition to earn their place in the semi-finals.
For older news items, use the "Worcs Chess News" menu button on the left.
Worcestershire chess leagues
The leagues associated with Worcestershire are below:
- Worcestershire Chess League. The league is an integral part of the association and has two divisions. Use the "League" menu button on the left for more.
- Worcester & District Chess League. The district league was founded in 1932. Although it is independant of the county association, honorary secretary and treasurers are shared with the county association.
- Dudley & District League. This league operates in the north of the old county within Dudley, south Staffordshire and south Birmingham.
- Birmingham & District League. One of the oldest and largest chess leagues in England straddling Staffordshire and Warwickshire as well as Worcestershire.
Worcestershire chess in brief
Chess Clubs. Use the menu button on the left for more Information about nearby and affiliated clubs.
Worcestershire Teams. Worcestershire have two teams in the Midlands Counties Championships and one correspondence team. You can play for Worcestershire if you: were born in the county; are currently resident in the county; you are attending full-time education in the county; you are a member of a chess club affiliated to the county. Use the Open or Under-120 Team menu buttons on the left for more information about over-the-board county play and the "Corres Chess" button for correspondence chess.
Juniors. The Worcestershire Junior Chess Academy is sponsored by King's School Worcester and meets Saturday mornings at the school. The county also organises the Worcestershire Megafinal of the UK Chess Challenge. Use the "Juniors" menu button on the left for more information.
County individual champion. The current champion is Kevin Hurney (South Birmingham). A list of previous champions is here.
The Woodcock Prize. This is awarded at the annual meeting to the winner of the most enterprising game.
Several Worcester Open Chess Congresses have been organised in recent years. It is not cureently planned to run an open congress, but a closed congress to determine the next county champion was run in 2017. Use the "Congress" menu button on the left for more.
About Worcestershire Chess Association and contacts. Ray Collett is General Secretary and Paul Sharratt is the lead for safeguarding. Use the "About" button on the left hand side menu for contacts.
Menu and links
Links. For websites of local, regional and national chess organisations.
Contacts and more information about Worcestershire Chess Association. Use the "About" menu button on the left for more information.