- Next chess events. Words in green are hyperlinks to pdf entry form, congress website, or contact's e-mail.
- Volunteers required for Chess in Schools & Communities
please contact John Wrench West Midlands organiser.
- Sat 14 Jul. Bewdley chess al fresco. 10am-2pm Load Street, Bewdley. Just turn up, donate to Rory the Robot Prostate Cancer Appeal and play a few games outside Bewdley Museum.
- Fri 13 to Sun 15 Jul. 4NCL Telford FIDE-rated congress at Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge, Forgegate, Telford, TF3 4NA. Open. u2000 FIDE(ECF u175), and u135 tournaments.
- Jul 27 to 5 Aug. British Chess Championships at Hull City Hall, Victoria Square, Carr Lane, Hull HU1 3RQ. Weekend, junior and graded tournaments.
- Sun 12 Aug, Bewdley Chess Tournament at Wribbenhall Parish Rooms, Kidderminster Road, Bewdley DY12 1DQ. Six rapidplay ungraded games, 11am to 5pm. A non-ECF event, no monetary prizes but there will be many prizes donated from local businesses and a gift bag for every junior participant. Proceeds to support Rory the Robot Prostate Cancer Appeal. Suitable for junior and casual players.
Worcestershire juniors score in Warwickshire
26 Jun, Halesowen CC reports. Manvith Sandhu, Worcestershire's junior champion shared grading and junior prizes in the North Wales Major tournament at
19 Jun, Halesowen CC reports. GM Keith Arkell won all 14 simulaneous games at Halesowen Chess Club. Keith said his toughest opponent was Worcestershire's junior champion Manvith Sandhu.
15 Jun, John Southcote reports. Windsor Peck. Windsor passed away peacefully on 15 June aged 80 years. Windsor was a member of Halesowen CC and for many years captained their 4NCL Division 3 team. He represented Worcestershire before moving to Madeley, Shrops. In 2006 he captained Shropshire's Open team to their second Midland Counties Team Championship win. He competed in many weekend tournaments and some of his most recent wins included Birmingham Rapid Minor tournament in 2017 and an under-120 grading prize at the 2018 Shropshire Congress. You can see a fine 2006 win of Windsor's on the Halesowen CC website. John Southcote wrote Windsor was "A true gentleman, he was a well known figure in Midlands chess and will be missed by all who knew him". There will be a Requiem Mass at 12 noon on 4 July at St Mary's RC Church, High Street, Madeley, Shrops.
9 Jun. Worcestershire under-140 team lost 6½ - 9½ to Yorkshire in the national semi final match at Selston, Notts.
27 May, Halesowen CC reports. Nick Arkell won the Wolverhampton League Rock Cup.
21 May. Alistair Macnaughton is 2018 Worcester City Champion.
19 May. Worcestershire beat Hampshire. Worcestershire won 11½-4½ in a national quarter final under 140 match at Watchfield, Wilts. Winning Worcestershire players were Eric Horwill (Stourbridge), David Spowart (Halesowen), Giles Stanton (Redditch), Paul Furniss (Greenlands), kevin Day (Kidderminster), Harry Evans (Kidderminster), Joe Bombardini (Stourbridge), David Cleak (Droitwich), and Arnold Kirkland (Droitwich).
15 May, John Wrench reports. Kidderminster win Pittaway Cup. In the Wolverhampton & District league final Kidderminster beat Wolverhampton 6¼-4. In the Wolverhampton League, Kidderminster A gained promotion back into Division 1, and Kidderminster B avoided relegation by winning their last match of the season.
14 May, Halesowen CC reports. Halesowen juniors score in Warwickshire. Finlay Bowcott-Terry won the under-13 section of the Warwickshire Megafinal of the UK Schools Chess Challenge. Manvith Sandhu won the under-10 tournament at the same event.
For older news items, use the "Worcs Chess News" menu button on the left.
Worcestershire chess leagues
The leagues associated with Worcestershire are below:
- Worcestershire Chess League. The league is an integral part of the association and has two divisions. Use the "League" menu button on the left for more.
- Worcester & District Chess League. The district league was founded in 1932. Although it is independant of the county association, honorary secretary and treasurers are shared with the county association.
- Dudley & District League. This league operates in the north of the old county within Dudley, south Staffordshire and south Birmingham.
- Birmingham & District League. One of the oldest and largest chess leagues in England straddling Staffordshire and Warwickshire as well as Worcestershire.
Worcestershire chess in brief
Chess Clubs. Use the menu button on the left for more Information about nearby and affiliated clubs.
Worcestershire Teams. Worcestershire have two teams in the Midlands Counties Championships and one correspondence team. You can play for Worcestershire if you: were born in the county; are currently resident in the county; you are attending full-time education in the county; you are a member of a chess club affiliated to the county. Use the Open or Under-120 Team menu buttons on the left for more information about over-the-board county play and the "Corres Chess" button for correspondence chess.
Juniors. The Worcestershire Junior Chess Academy is sponsored by King's School Worcester and meets Saturday mornings at the school. The county also organises the Worcestershire Megafinal of the UK Chess Challenge. Use the "Juniors" menu button on the left for more information.
County individual champion. The current champion is Kevin Hurney (South Birmingham). A list of previous champions is here.
The Woodcock Prize. This is awarded at the annual meeting to the winner of the most enterprising game.
Several Worcester Open Chess Congresses have been organised in recent years. It is not cureently planned to run an open congress, but a closed congress to determine the next county champion was run in 2017. Use the "Congress" menu button on the left for more.
About Worcestershire Chess Association and contacts. Ray Collett is General Secretary and Paul Sharratt is the lead for safeguarding. Use the "About" button on the left hand side menu for contacts.
Menu and links
Links. For websites of local, regional and national chess organisations.
Contacts and more information about Worcestershire Chess Association. Use the "About" menu button on the left for more information.